Sunday, February 17, 2008

Life Lessons from "It's A Wonderful Life"

To quote one of my favorite movies: "No man [or woman, in this case] is a failure who has friends."

And do I ever have friends... the MOST wonderful friends a girl could ask for. *sniff, sniff*

Friday night, my Mom's Group friends had a going away party for me at our favorite restaurant/karaoke bar. And it was perfect.

We had a nice meal, I shared a fabulous bottle of wine with Angie, and they showered me with gifts, balloons, and cake! Oh, and my favorite singing bartender that I've drooled over for years was even our waiter... our own private waiter for the evening. What could possibly be better than that? (He was even better than a stripper, Angie! lol)

I've been trying to come up with a "goodbye speech" for these ladies for a week now... you know, "just the right thing" to say to each and every one of them, to let them know just how much I love them and how I can't imagine my life without them... all that sappy stuff. But, for probably the first time in my life, words escape me. Shocking, I know!

When I moved here 3 years ago, I joined a little, local Mom's Group so that the kids and I would have instant friends and things to do. Well, over the past 3 years, that "little group" has undergone some major changes... all for the better, I might add! And now it's a not-so-little group of 40-some women and oodles of precious children that I've come to love as my own.

I don't think I ever imagined that one day I'd have to say goodbye to them. And that's proving very difficult, as I sit here 3 days away from Moving Day.

All I can say is that I'm truly blessed to know each and every one of them. I can only hope that they know how much I love them and their little ones, and I'll carry them in my heart always, no matter where in the world I am.

I haven't even left yet, but I already miss my Moms terribly. The only thought that comforts me is that I'll only be a mouse-click away from them (gotta love technology)!

Thanks, Ladies, for everything! Super duper hugs to all of you.

Oh, and Maria... if Delilah just happens to turn up missing later this week... try not to worry. I promise I'll take good care of her. lolol

6 comments:

Angela James said...

Waaaah. Dammit.

Dammit. Dammit.

Jennifer said...

I can't take it. =:(

fireflymom said...

Ok. So where's that cat Erin? LOL.

Maria said...

I'll make a deal with you---You can have the baby and I can have a good nights sleep, sounds like a fair trade to me.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting so excited for you Erin!
I know it must be really sad to leave all your friends (obviously not as sad as when you moved away from me - haha!) but just think - you will always have a great vacation spot to go to!!

Lisa said...

Awwww! I love that quote.