Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Why, Avery, Why?

This pic was taken of Avery and her Bear back in October... I'm sharing it with you now because I have a story to tell you about Avery and Bear, and I thought a visual would be nice.

Yes, Bear is supposed to be pink, but he's very dingy and gray after being dragged around by Avery's dirty hands for the better part of three years (and he gets "baths" regularly, but the gray just doesn't go away!). Bear became Avery's "comfort object" sometime during her first year of life. Avery doesn't go anywhere without her Bear. And she certainly can't sleep without him in her clutches.

At some point, Avery started carrying Bear around with her teeth. She would shove his nose area in her mouth and chew on him (strange behavior, yes). Well, this led to a hole where Bear's nose should be... so now that you're caught up, let me tell you what happened here tonight...

About 5 minutes after I tucked Avery into bed tonight, she came running out of her room, whining.

"What's wrong, Avery?"

"There's something in my nose!!!"

"What did you put in your nose, Avery?"

"A fuzzy." [Note: a "fuzzy" that Avery picked out of the hole in Bear's nose and shoved up her own.]

"Why did you put a fuzzy up your nose, Avery? Why?"

Lots of whining followed, and at this point, I whisked devilish almost 3-year-old child to the bathroom, sat her on the sink, and found the trusty tweezers (thank God for tweezers!!). In seconds, I had the fuzzy removed. Supermommy and her tweezers to the rescue... yet again.

This isn't the first time that a fuzzy from Bear has mysteriously made its way into Avery's nostril. And it's a phenomenon that I just don't comprehend, on any level. So, Supermommy then threatens Avery that if she keeps putting Bear's fuzzies up her nose, Mommy will have to take Bear away. *gasp*

At this, devilish almost 3-year-old child becomes instantly teary-eyed and says, "I won't do it again, Mommy, I promise. I really promise. I won't."

Avery and Bear are tucked into bed again.

At this point, Damon is coughing up a lung, so I go into his room to give him some cough medicine, and I'm still trying to figure out the whole fuzzy thing... so I decide to ask for Damon's input, thinking maybe I'll get some highly intelligent kid logic from him.

"Why does she keep putting fuzzies up her nose, Damon??"

"I know why she does it, Mom... she does it because Bear has a hole in his nose and she pulls the fuzzies out of there."

"Yes, Damon, I know where she GETS the fuzzies from... but why does she put them up her nose?"

"I have no idea... because she's NUTS???"

Exactly. Thank you, Damon... that's what I thought, too. At least WE are on the same page where dear Avery is concerned.

5 comments:

Angela James said...

Duh, Mom! Clearly if Bear had the fuzzies up HIS nose, they must be okay for Avery's nose too. If they both have fuzzies, they match!

meliss said...

Hey, picking fuzzies far exceeds picking boogies. ;)

Keep those tweezers handy, I have a feeling this isn't the last time you'll have to use them. Avery is a unique child. Keep smiling!

Anonymous said...

I hope you haven't had any more fuzzy accidents lately. Glad SuperMommy saved the day.

Anonymous said...

I told my Dad this story on the phone the other night....he was laughing so hard. He bragged on Avery and Damon after meeting them at Papaw's birthday party.

Linda said...

Hey, at least you could get it out!!! LOL You didn't have to take a trip to the ER for them to extract something out of your child's nose, like oh, say I DID! LOL Too cute!!!