Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Second Step to a Better Dog (and if this doesn't work, I give up!)

Yesterday, Nick and I made a trip to our local PetSmart in search of SOMETHING to help us with this #$%* (enter your own expletive) dog of his.

After I was so excited the other night about her new crate, I took her out of the crate for a walk around the yard, and she slipped out of her harness and ran away from me... I then had the very unpleasant task of text messaging my husband at work and telling him that I lost his dog. My mom and I spent the next hour pacing around outside in the dark and cold screaming for this #$%* dog.

Luckily, she did return home, unscathed. But the whole experience scared me to death... my husband was deeply troubled, of course, and my son was a hysterical wreck because he was afraid Lizzie would meet the same, sad end as our last dog, Lucky (who was hit by a car in front of our house last summer).

Well, aside from getting loose and running away into the night, Lizzie also has several behavioral problems... she steals food from the kids when they're trying to eat, she has no clue where she's supposed to go to the bathroom, and she barks uncontrollably for no good reason at times (just to mention a few).

So, yesterday, we purchased the niftiest thing ever.... a brand new shock collar for Dear Liz.

I'll admit, I was a little reluctant to zap her for the first time... but once I did, I found that it's VERY enjoyable, lol. So far, I've only used it to keep her away from my children while they're eating, and it's working quite well!

If this doesn't solve my "issues" with Liz, I give up. But I have a feeling that these nifty little electric currents being pumped into her neck just MIGHT do the trick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be all over that. We need one for Abbey, but we're not here often enough to catch her!