Monday, November 13, 2006

A Bonfire, Redneck Style

Now you KNOW this post must have something to do with my dear husband, right (was it the "redneck" thing that gave it away?).

We live in the middle o' nowhere, surrounded on three sides by cornfields. This suits my dear husband just FINE... he loves having no neighbors within earshot, he supposedly loves being able to pee off the back porch (although I don't think I've ever actually SEEN him do that), and he loves inviting his friends over to have a few beers and light things on fire in a big pit in the backyard (aka, a bonfire).

We do this bonfire thing quite frequently... and Nick has really "mastered" the whole process. We now have a permanent "pit" in the yard... Nick and his friends scour the tree line on the edge of our property, looking for logs (or half trees) to burn... and if he's driving down the road and sees a fallen down tree or rotten telephone pole, ummm, he'll stop and get it... honestly (I couldn't MAKE this stuff up, People).

Nick also had a brilliant idea a few bonfires ago when he remembered that we had an old stereo upstairs in storage... now this isn't any little "boombox." I'm talking a huge tuner stereo system with huge honkin' speakers, etc. So, this has become our "bonfire stereo" now (doesn't everyone have one of those??).

Anyway, last weekend Nick outdid himself and gave new meaning to the word "bonfire." Friday night the weather was gorgeous here, and I think it was MY brilliant idea to have a fire and invite some friends over. What I didn't expect was that we'd be using our furniture for kindling. Oh yes.

You see, my mom has recently moved back in with us, so we've acquired a lot more furniture in our teeny tiny house. And, the couch that we had was one that Mom handed down to us less than a year ago, yet my children (and the infamous dog) had pretty much destroyed it... so, it was on its way to the dump anyway. My husband decided it would be better served as firewood. And he didn't stop there... He also carried our coffee table and end tables out to the fire pit, too.

So, THAT is how you have a true, redneck-style bonfire (just in case you were wondering)... you simply scour the house for unwanted furniture and throw it into a fire pit. Voila! (I only wish I had thought to take pics to share with everyone... it was quite a scene!)

I have to admit, in the 7+ years that I've been with Nick, there has RARELY been a dull moment, lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you ever thought of going into comedy? you could have a great stand-up act with this. I see millions in your future.