Sunday, August 10, 2008

A little sad

Actually, I'm a lot sad tonight.

We moved to the Hills 5.5 months ago. I think I can truthfully tell you that we're starting to feel "at home" here. We survived our first winter (it was really only HALF of a winter, wasn't it? eeek!); Damon has made some neighborhood friends who love the PS2 as much as he does; we have doctors that we're very happy with; Nick has a great, local job that suits all of us; and Spring and Summer have been positively gorgeous here on top of our hill.

But, without a doubt, what I've enjoyed the most these past few months is the friendship that we've developed with our neighbors. Not the crazy old people across the street who adore their driveways, but the family right next door---Terri, Mark, Paige, Dante, and Izzy (Comet's girlfriend, remember?).

When the snow finally melted a few months ago, all of the neighborhood kids started congregating in our yard every afternoon/evening... including Paige and Dante from next door. So, I started sitting outside with Terri, and we yelled at the kids and dogs, smoked a lot of cigarettes, and got to know one another a little more each day.

I've grown to love Terri and her kids... and the dog, too (even though I have no room in my life for another animal to love, Lord knows). Our husbands have even become friendly recently (well, as friendly as two very anti-social, stubborn men who each work two jobs can be!).

But yesterday, a moving truck pulled up next door, and Terri and family loaded all of their belongings into it... and they left us. Isn't that just my luck? We have neighbors for the first time in years, and we even LIKE them... and now they're gone. *sniff, sniff*

Granted, they moved just outside of town, maybe a 15-minute drive from here (if that). So, by no means are they rid of us! I'm planning to take the kids and Comet out to their new house at least once a week, so that we can stay in touch and remain great friends. And Avery will be in preschool with Dante this Fall, so I'm sure we'll run into each other there. But still, that's a lot different than having them right next door. *sniff, sniff*

Nick and I were sitting out on our porch this morning, and I glanced next door and realized how quiet it is now. Dante isn't running outside saying, "Hey! Is Damon home? Can Damon come out and play? I wanna play the video game where you shoot people!" And Izzy isn't running over every chance she gets to see if Comet can come out to play or knock over his water bowl. Paige isn't doing backflips in my backyard and playing freeze tag with the younger kids. And Terri isn't here to sit on the porch, relax, and have a cold beer with me at the end of a long day. Darn it.

Tonight, I'm feeling a little hormonal anyway... and losing my neighbors (the only halfway normal people on this street, no less!) is definitely not helping. With any luck, their replacements will be just as nice and just as normal... but I'm not really counting on it. And they certainly won't be Terri, Mark, Paige, Dante, and Izzy. *sniff, sniff*

So, Terri, I know you're busy unpacking and getting settled in your new, gorgeous home in the country... but know that we're already missing you (tons!) here in town. And when you start to miss the old freaks across the street (you know you will!), you can always come back to visit us. We'll see you guys soon!

1 comment:

renee said...

aww Erin i feel your pain. Granted i only live in an apartment but my neighbors come and go really quickly. and the woman that lives across the hall, who will watch gabe at the drop of a hat is moving to arizona...... sniff sniff