Monday, April 14, 2008

On the road again...

When Nick headed back out on the road Friday afternoon, he took an excited 7-year-old boy with him. Damon looooooves riding along with his dad in the big truck. I haven't quite figured out WHY... I can understand how it's fun for a little bit, but then it just gets boring and loud and, well, boring.

But Damon loves it, and loves spending that extra time with Daddy. So the boys headed out Friday afternoon (with car-sized television sets, earphones, movies, a Playstation 2, and plenty o' games. hmmm, maybe THAT'S why Damon loves the truck so much!).

And Avery and I had a fabulous, quiet "girly" evening here at home.

Then Saturday, Damon called to ask if he could spend yet another night out in the truck. Ummm, okay. If he wants to be out there and if Nick doesn't mind him being out there, then who am I to ruin their fun?? I started looking forward to another fabulous, quiet "girly" evening at home.

But then Nick called a little while later and asked if Avery and I would like to join them for the night. Here we go...

Even though Nick comes up with these crazy ideas and my initial reaction is "no, no, no" and there are millions of logical arguments running through my mind for WHY Avery and I should not join them on the road, I always end up giving in... and going along with the crazy idea. Go figure. (Get a backbone, Erin... really!!)

So... Avery and I packed up toys, clothes, blankets and pillows, my laptop and work-related "stuff," and we hit the road with the boys. I have a feeling this might become a weekend "routine" of sorts for our little family, since we spent the Saturday before doing the same thing.

All in all, it's really not that bad. I do kinda enjoy packing up and going... getting out of the house and spending time with my family. I just wish we had a little more SPACE. I'm pretty sure a truck cab is designed to be functional for one person... maybe two if need be... but NOT an entire family. I'll definitely remember to take my camera along on our next trip, so I can SHOW you how nuts it is to have a family of four in one little truck for an entire weekend.

We didn't make it home from our latest adventure until 4am THIS morning. And now I'm beyond exhausted. I did, however, get caught up on my editing work. There just isn't much else to DO in the truck, driving down the road... and there's no Internet out there to distract me, which is a really good thing!

I can't say we're exactly "seeing the country" out there, since Nick only drives in three states now. But I should know THOSE three states like the back of my hand before long. It occurred to me that I should be taking pictures and writing down little memories/highlights from these trips... great scrapbooking material that the kids will probably treasure someday. And maybe, if you're lucky, I'll even make some blog posts about our adventures on the road...

2 comments:

Grampy said...

Mother Truckers! . . . You do have a very "different" life! Glad to hear everybody is having so much fun -- and that you're getting work done. What a hoot!

Anonymous said...

Look forward to reading your "BLOG",dear Granddaughter...Sounds like your life is more interesting each day. Love the pictures ,don't quit ,just keep trucking along.