Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Randomness (and a lot of *sighs*)

So, one of my Mommy Friends has issued a challenge for her blogging friends to post a blog entry every day in November... actually, she borrowed the challenge from this blog, and although I haven't quite figured out how to "officially" sign up for the challenge, I'm going to attempt it. It doesn't start until November 1st, but I figure I should get a head start, in an effort to make this part of my daily routine (routine?? what's that exactly?).

Which brings me to my next random thought for the day... apparently any semblance of a "routine" has flown right out of our window here lately. I'd like to blame it on Nick's ever-changing work schedule, but honestly, I should probably assume responsibilty (or irresponsibility) for this. Nick is working nights, which means there's noone here to encourage me to get to bed at a decent hour, which means that I'm resorting back to my "old school" night owl tendencies. Which means that every day is pretty much chaos around our house. *sigh*

I've never claimed to be a "model mom," but one thing I've always been proud of is the fact that my kids have a pretty set bedtime routine... and that they sleep in their own beds (as opposed to "the family bed," which kinda makes me nauseous). But this lack of a routine is also affecting bedtime, and is starting to make me a little crazy (as if I needed help in that department!). Avery has been a nightmare at bedtime lately... and, actually, ALL night. Even though I still insist that she go to sleep in HER bed, by morning, she's in MY bed (and most mornings, so is her brother)... and I can't quite figure out WHERE I went wrong, since I really tried to make sure this wouldn't happen. *sigh* Oh well... I'm sure there are worse things. It's just a little disheartening.

Also disheartening is the fact that, despite my husband landing a "dream job" and making decent money for a change, we're still struggling to make ends meet... actually, we're struggling to get the ends in the same time zone! For the past few days, my phone has been ringing OFF the hook... I'm talking every hour ON the hour. Who is calling, you ask? The bank that I have my car financed through. Why are they calling? Because I am FIVE DAYS late making my car payment this month. Five Days. I've never heard of such insanity. Luckily, Friday is Pay Day, and I can pay them and ease their worries, but geeeez... gimme a break already, Bank Which Shall Remain Nameless. I'm much further behind on other bills that have been piling up for months, and they don't harrass me nearly as much. *double sigh*

In an effort to help make the ends meet, I've taken on a lot of extra editing work this week. Actually, in the 7 years that I've been doing freelance work, I've never turned down an assignment... but those who dole out work to me have piled it on more than usual here lately. Apparently, there's a lot of pressure in the medical publishing world for doctors to get their articles in print before the end of the calendar year. Who knew?? I can't for the life of me begin to imagine why it matters whether your ingenius (*cough!*) research is published in December of one year or January of the following, but we go through this at the end of every year. *sigh*

On that note, I should probably return to my beloved editing... which is my excuse for being awake at 1am... And I'm sure, if you're reading this, you're glad that the whining and sighing is about to end! hmmm, maybe a daily blog challenge is NOT such a good idea... what do you think? One more for good measure... *sigh*

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm in if you figure out how we register. I definitely need to post more often, and I always love a challenge.

Anonymous said...

hi erin, you are so normal! we all go through these times and i promise that theses times end...others begin....
have a great day!!!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the challenge. I love hearing about all of your adventures and I don't mind the *sighs*. Hang in there, I'm thinking of you!