Monday, August 07, 2006

5 years ago today...

Was a big day for me... I added a new role to the list that I'd been acquiring for 25 years. In addition to daughter, sister, friend, student, aunt, and mother (just to name a few), I became a wife!

Nick and I were married on August 7, 2001 (probably the hottest day of the year!) in a very simple, short-but-sweet, civil ceremony at the courthouse in Georgetown, Delaware.

It wasn't lavish by any means, but even so, it meant the world to me and remains one of the most significant days of my life. We had already experienced a lot together in only the 2 years since we first met, not the least of which was becoming parents 6 months earlier!!

I didn't need or want "bells to ring, a choir to sing, the white dress, the guests, the cake, the car, the whole darn thing" (yes, I just quoted a Shania song... lol). I simply wanted to be Nick's wife, to make that commitment for better or for worse, and sign the piece of paper with my NEW name, that would finally match his and my son's.

The past five years have been... well, interesting, to say the least! We have had a lot of ups and downs and put those vows to the test more than once. But, we're still here today. We have a beautiful family and share a love for each other that continues to grow and change with each passing day. I've cherished these first five years and all that we've experienced in that time.

Today, I look forward to the next five years and the many more that will follow; I look forward to watching our children grow and become happy little people; I look forward to creating more memories; and most of all, I look forward to learning even more about my best friend, my companion in everything I do, my partner for this wild ride we call life... my dear husband.

I love you, W.

1 comment:

meliss said...

awwww... So very sweet and tender. You two are great together.