Wednesday, November 16, 2005

What I've Learned...

I've recently learned that when you live in "the country" (ie, The Middle of Nowhere, Egypt) and your house is surrounded on four sides by corn and/or soybean fields, when those crops are harvested, your house becomes "the next best thing" for several families of field mice.

EEEGADS.

That's right, folks, the Witschey Home has been taken over by a species of the much smaller variety as of late. It is downright disgusting. And, my son is suddenly paralyzed with fear whenever he's on one level of the house by himself. Maybe his newfound fear is my fault because, during the first few days of The Invasion, I squealed every time one of these furry little creatures crossed my path. Hmmm, you think??

However, I have grown accustomed to the little poopinators at this point... Now I'm just disgusted by the piles of "droppings" that they leave in every corner of the house. And, I still haven't figured out how I'm supposed to clean up their messes behind the refrigerator (of all places!), which seems to be their favorite nesting spot.

So, today, as I sit here typing at my computer, I'm feeling a bit gloomy at the site of yet another harvester out there in a nearby field... knowing that his presence and the removal of another soybean crop will bring even more inhabitants into my cozy home.

Yee Haw!!

No comments: