Sunday, August 24, 2008

Getting Ready for 2nd Grade (and preschool)!!

I don't know how it's possible that my baby is almost 8 years old and starting the 2nd grade in a few days... I really don't. But, I didn't intend to go all mushy on you in this post, so that's all I'll say about THAT.

Today, we drove over to Damon's school to check out the class lists that were posted yesterday. Sure enough, there was his name at the bottom of the middle list of 2nd graders. He's the 21st of 21 kids in Ms. Johnson's class (I'm assuming it's a female teacher; I could be totally wrong about that... I guess we'll find out Tuesday!). And we were both relieved to find several familiar names on the list... kids who were in his class last year. I think knowing that he knows a few of the kids will make his first days of this school year a little easier. Surely they'll be easier than his first days when we moved here last winter (I really don't want to relive that nightmare again).

After confirming that Damon is, in fact, slated to begin the 2nd grade Tuesday, we headed to the mall. After a painful hour or so in the shoe store, he finally decided on a new pair of Skechers. Good grief. He's so NOT a shopper, this kid. Moping and whining and crying and getting frustrated all over the store. It was so much fun!

He already has a bookbag (a hand-me-down from Nick that's still is great shape) and lunchbox (bought toward the end of last school year)... and we won't have a clue about what kind of school supplies he needs until his first day, apparently. So, I guess Tuesday evening we'll join every other kid in this town at Walmart and fight over folders, notebooks, glue sticks, pink erasers, and hand sanitizer. I'm really looking forward to that!

Damon does not seem at all excited about starting a new school year. This means he won't be able to play his video games and watch Ben 10 Alien Force all day every day. Poor kid.

Mommy, on the other hand, is thrilled about school starting. Beyond thrilled, really. I could lie and say, "I'm really going to miss my baby when he's gone all day!" But I won't. I'll be 100% honest and tell you that I'm counting the minutes until I can drop him off at school Tuesday morning. I'm sure I'll be happy to see him later that afternoon, but I will thoroughly enjoy the peace and quiet while he's gone... I just know it.

Also on Tuesday, Avery's preschool teacher is coming by the house for a "home visit." Apparently these home visits are typical in the Hills... but totally foreign to me. Her teacher called a few nights ago to arrange this home visit and asked me if I had any questions. I felt really stupid and replied, "uhh, well, yeah... what exactly do you DO during this home visit?"

Where I come from, a home visit regarding your child is generally NOT a good thing... that's when the people from CPS come out to investigate and make sure you aren't beating your child and feeding her stale bread and water for dinner, and that you don't have 168 cats living, dying, and urinating all over your house, I suppose. Not that I would know what these CPS people actually do. Really, I'm a good mom... for the most part. (Although, I AM really looking forward to getting rid of my kids this fall.)

Avery's teacher, however, said that she just wanted to come out and meet Avery and get to know us a little before her first day of school... and she said she'd probably bring a little craft along. Avery was jumping for joy when I reported all of this to her. Unlike her big brother in every way possible, Avery is READY to go to school!

And Mommy is sooooooooooo ready... for both of my beautiful babes to go away and leave me for a few peaceful hours each day. Forget the tissues, pass the bon-bons!

2 comments:

Carrie Hewitt said...

Good Luck Damon and Avery! How exciting! I can remember how anxious I used to get before school. It was a fun part of the year. Glad to hear you will get a nice break Erin!

Linda said...

Awwwww... 2nd grade already? I know he will be fine once things get going!! Do make sure to take lots of pics of the both of them!!