Saturday, July 05, 2008

Avery's New 'Do

I know that most kids take it upon themselves to play with scissors and chop their hair (or their little sister's hair) at least once in their childhood. But MY children seem to be obsessed with scissors and hair.

Once again, we had a haircutting incident at our house today.

Avery was in her room, playing at her desk (complete with safety scissors, which she uses ALL the time to cut PAPER!). Then she came out for dinner. And I was looking at her thinking, "hmmm. Something looks different..." Then she announced that she had cut her hair. Nick and I both got wide-eyed and thought, "oh no." Avery TOLD us that she used her fake play scissors, so then I breathed a sigh of relief... that was very short-lived.

Nick walked back to Avery's room... and I heard, "Oh God... Oh God... Oh. God." As he walked around her room, he kept finding pile after pile of nice, long, Avery hair. She wasn't cutting with the fake scissors... she was, in fact, cutting with REAL scissors.

I had fixed her hair earlier, and put two little pigtails on top of her head... with just the "front" hair, so it would stay out of her eyes. And it looks like she just decided to chop off those pigtails (or right under them, anyway).

Here's Avery after she took the scissors to her head (it's kinda hard to see the real damage in these pics, but trust me, it was BAAAAAD):





And now, after I took my scissors to her head, in a lame attempt to "fix" her mess (clearly, I'm no hairdresser... and for good reason!):






Honestly, I kinda like her new 'do. I think it's cute and fun and summery... and she looks like the diva she is! Her father, on the other hand, is still having heart palpitations. He looooooved Avery's long, pretty hair. It's okay, Daddy, it grows back... I promise!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I kinda like the shorter hair better. It fits her personality. I can't believe it was that long though!

Grampy said...

I'd go SHORTER -- but then I've always liked short hair.

Carrie Hewitt said...

So much fun in store for me! I can't wait! Avery looks adorable either way!

Trish said...

Awwww Avery! LOL she looks adorable even with cut up hair. But you did a great job Momma!

Keener Family said...

I think it looks cute too! At least you didn't have to go military style on her! LOL! GOOD JOB DARLIN!

Granny aka Memaw said...

She did a fine job cutting her hair. . . She's a beautiful girl regardless of her hair style. . . Linda cuts mine -- but Avery would be my next choice!

Linda said...

Oh dear.... boy do I remember those days! She looks so cute with her short hair though!!!