Monday, December 26, 2005

A Letter to My Baby on Her Special Day

Dearest Avery,

Exactly two years ago, you and I were walking down the ice-covered sidewalks of New Martinsville, WV. Daddy and I were so anxious to meet you that we thought "pounding the pavement" might convince you to come on out and join us and your big brother! :)

After our cold, wintery walk, Mommy attempted to get some rest, assuming that you were never going to arrive, no matter what! But, apparently the walk was invigorating for you and you squirmed and kicked all night, just to let me know you were still there! Halfway through the night, I was pretty darn uncomfortable and started feeling those "familiar flutters," which eventually turned into "OH S#$%! contractions."

At 8am, we packed up, called Papaw and Uncle AJ to come stay with Damon, and Mom and Dad (and you) headed to the hospital. Twelve hours later, I heard Grandma scream, "ERIN, It's a GIRL!!!" and there you were... a squirmy little 7-lb, 3-oz miracle placed on my belly.

You were perfect, from the very first moment. You were the little girl that I had dreamed of having ever since I was a little girl. Our family of three suddenly became a family of four... and you completed us, in so many ways.

Today, we will be celebrating your 2nd birthday. And you are still perfect. You've brought so much joy to all of our lives, Avery. You are my very own "Mini Me" with your chubby cheeks and big blue eyes. You are Daddy's little angel, and can bring out every ounce of tenderness in him. You are Damon's little sister... but, more importantly, his best friend.

At two years old, you are a handful! You are the most curious little thing and have to investigate and "get into" everything! And, of course, "WHY?" is now your favorite question. The supposed "Terrible Twos" are definitely upon us, in so many ways! In the last week you have: learned to climb out of your crib, become obsessed with going to the potty every 5 minutes (and then climbing into the bathroom sink and playing in the water), and started fighting with your big brother over every silly little thing. You definitely keep us all on our toes, Little One! But, at the same time, you are absolutely the SWEETEST child that ever lived. I have never met a toddler who hugs and kisses and loves on people as much as you do. Your new favorite thing to say is: "I wub you, Momma!" And my heart absolutely melts every time I hear it (even if it's the 53rd time I've heard it that day).

So, today, on your second birthday, I am shedding a few tears: one because I know I have been so blessed with you; another because you're growing up so quickly and I really wanted you to stay a baby forever; and another because I'm overwhelmed with how much "I wub you," too.

Happy Birthday, Avery Brooke. I hope this day and all the days that follow bring you joy and new discoveries and lots and lots of "wub."

You may be trying to grow up on me, but to quote one of my favorite children's books:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.

I love you, Baby Girl!

Mommy

1 comment:

Maria said...

Not fair! Now I'm crying. So sweet, E.